Friday, September 28, 2007

Is blender really equal to the competition?

Recently, while visiting Blendernation, I came across a posting with a link to a 3D application comparison. At first, the biased nature and inaccuracy of the article was a source of amusement for me; but after thinking about it, if people take the article seriously, then it could be cause for concern.

I love open source for many reasons, chiefly because of the superior quality that seems to come out of such projects, and the fact that the work is offered up free of charge. Just because something is open source does not make it superior, however. Sometimes the open source solution is superior, in the case of Linux versus Windows and Firefox vs Internet Explorer, but other times it's not; as in Photoshop versus The Gimp. In the case of Blender, it is a solution that is not superior or inferior, it's just it's own program with its own set of features. In the 3D industry, when two programs have almost identical feature sets, the superiority of one over the other is quite subjective.

The concern that I have is with overselling. If I make a claim to a friend that if he downloads Firefox and uses it over IE that he will never get a virus, and he gets a virus via email or some other source, he will assume that this is the fault of his browser because of my outlandish claim. He would likely switch back to IE, and actively argue against anyone who tries to tell him that this is dangerous because obviously my claim of Firefox being all the protection he needed was ambiguous. The fact that Firefox is free makes little difference, as there is still an investment in time, productivity and learning the new software- even for one so simple as a browser. Making claims that Blender is this much better than the competition could have dire consequences for the adoption of Blender in the future, as many users may not give it a second chance. By all means, be honest about what Blender can really do- but be open about what it can't, so new users will know exactly what to expect.

So is Blender at least equal to Maya, Softimage or 3Ds Max? In some ways yes, in others no.

The article I previously read dealt with 3ds max, Maya, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, and XSI. I will compare the three that I have experience with, those being Max, Maya and XSI. Also, I will skip much of the technical information that is very concrete, such as pricing and compatibility.

Interface- The Blender interface is actually brilliant, but different from any other 3D package I've used. I personally dislike the Max interface very much, but I am quite fond of both the Maya and XSI interfaces. I know that there are many artists who prefer Max over the other solutions out there, so this is completely a matter of opinion, and none is a clear winner.

But for beginners, I actually think that Blender has the best interface. The rest are messy and confusing, especially Max, whereas Blender is clean and simple- with most options available via shortcuts. With video tutorials like the series by Glen Moyes available, Blender is probably the most newbie friendly package on the market.

Rendering Quality- This topic is extremely subjective. I have managed to get very good results out of all of the packages that I have used, and with poor rendering settings, I have gotten poor results as well. I recall the first project that I rendered using Renderman, which is an industry standard, and it looked awful. Like the 3D package itself this really depends on the artist- and none of the render systems are a clear winner. If I were to pick one as the best my opinion would favor Mental Ray. Again, this is subjective, so I am not claiming that your experience will be the same.

Animation tools- Each is different, but I would put XSI as my favorite to work with. The animation system in Maya is very complex and hardly intuitive, but extremely powerful. I have not found a limitation yet with the Maya animation system. 3ds Max has good rigging tools and setup, though much of it is a pain to use. They do have Character Studio though, which is nice if you have a tough time constraint, but in larger projects it isn't very powerful. I would rank theirs as “good” because there are no major limitations.

Then there's Blender. I am quite satisfied with the rigging system. They are missing a few things, such as using non-bones as part of your rig (useful for making things react to one another, such as mechanical objects) and some equivalent to Maya's Spline IK constraint, useful for animating tails, snakes, chains, etc. There are a few other things missing too, but those are the biggest ones that I missed.

As for the animation system in Blender, the NLA editor is nowhere near as robust as Maya's dope sheet, the action editor could use some help, and there are a few tools that I would like- but the system is feature-rich enough to be usable. I would put Maya's animation system at the top, XSI second, and Max a close third. That ranking is based on available features, flexibility and capabilities, so if your package has the features you need then it's more a matter of preference.

UV tools- I'm not going to spend tons of time on this one other than to say that the UV tools in Blender are so vastly superior to those in all three of the packages that I have experience with, that it was enough alone for me to consider learning a whole different package and give Blender a chance at becoming my tool of choice. Where I would once rank the rest as “good” I will now rank them as “inadequate.”

3D Painting- Blender's brush support is better than that of The Gimp, but I'm not sure if that's saying anything about how good Blender's brushes are so much as how bad The Gimp's brushes are. I actually have used Bodypaint, and found it to be very good, but I still prefer to use Photoshop for texturing.

Modeling- The modeling tools are probably about equal across the board. Maya and Softimage have support for n-gons, which can create real issues for newbies who don't know to avoid them, but just the same I think it is possible to achieve equivalent results with any package in a timely manner. This is purely a matter of preference, and I am quite impartial on this one.

Modifiers- I need to dissect this one, because the original article really screwed it up. Max does have an extensive modifier system. In fact, almost everything you do in Max, including modeling, is done via modifiers. Even plugins are modifiers. The problem is that everything is buried and difficult to find, and because you have to dig to get to anything, and the naming convention is not user friendly, this is far from the best setup. (this is part of the reason I dislike the Max interface)

With Maya, the modifier stack is also quite robust, and though it's more limited that Max, this is a good thing. The modifiers are decentralized and you need to know where to look to find what you want, though.

Softimage actually has the best and most intuitive modifier system. The modifier stack can be changed and tweaked at any time, it's all centralized and easy to access, everything is in an intuitive hierarchy, and each piece of the model- including the mesh itself- is a separate piece of the hierarchy that can be modified. For example, if I decide that the characters nose is too small I can modify the mesh without interfering with the texture map, the rig, the shape keys, etc.

Blender also has a nice modifier stack. It's fairly centralized, and intuitive. Is it the best one? No, but I would say that it's very good. There are a few more modifiers that would be nice to see in there, but adding them would just be copying some of the nice stuff that Softimage has.

NURBS- The best implementation of NURBS that I've seen is in Maya, and the implementation there is horrible. In fact, to say that it sucks would be a drastic understatement. Sure, you can get good results with NURBS if you really know what you're doing, but the workflow with them is so clunky that you would have to have a really good reason to choose them over another solution. But if you need NURBS for some reason, go Maya. Yes, Blender sucks at NURBS, and it has not impacted my choice of 3D software. I have not tried NURBS on any other package, as this is not my preferred modeling method, so I cannot say how well Max or XSI does it.

Dynamics/Rigid bodies- This depends really on the desired results, and this is a discussion that is beyond the scope of this article. I would say decide what your project requires, then research to see which packages can handle your requirements. I'll give you a hint: in most cases, they all can just as well.

Soft Bodies- See Dynamics above, same thing applies.

Hairs- I find it surprising that the article ranked this as “Good” in Blender, the hair system implemented as of 2.45 is horrible. This is about to change with (hopefully) 2.50, however. In fact, Jahka's hair system is one of the best I've seen anywhere. The expensive version of Maya has a descent hair sim, but Shave and a Haircut seems to yield good results with less effort. In the hands of a competent artist, the results from any solution will be identical.

Particles- The expensive version of Maya has a really good particle system, but in my opinion, if your project calls for anything that is beyond the scope of what is possible the Blender particle system, then you should consider using a program that specializes in particle sims. You will get better results that way and sometimes with less effort. If this is you, check out Houdini Master from Side Effects. (I have no affiliation with that company) For everyone else, which is most of you, you will get great results with the built-in particle systems in just about any 3D package, including Blender 2.45.

Learning Materials- I know blender doesn't have that much available, and a lot of it is out of date. I'm working on that, and I'm not alone. If you are a complete newbie, check out Introducing Character Animation. Maya has the best learning community right now, and Softimage isn't that far behind.

Price- Think about this. If you're paying an artist $60,000 a year, is that $7,000 really that big of an expense if it makes your artist more productive or produce better work? What if you're a freelancer, is your time worth less than the cost of that software? What if your artist is in California and will need to earn $80,000 or more just to make a decent living? Unless we're talking about software that's prohibitively expensive, then price is a poor argument for or against a given software solution when talking to professionals; but it is a good argument for students and hobbyists. You know what type of user you are, and whether or not this argument even holds water for you.

The Dark Side- This one I will disagree on almost every claim made in the original article. With Max, the weakest point is the interface. It's messy, difficult for newbies, and not much is where you would expect to look the first time. Additionally, you must dig through illogically named panels for whatever you are looking for.

I had no trouble learning Maya, but I didn't start with it, so I may not be qualified to comment on the learning curve. That's not to say that it's friendly to newbies, Maya allows you to do things without warning you that it will completely mess up your project- such as ngons. Even professionals can make ngons in Maya without noticing until it causes problems. The fact that Blender doesn't support these is one of its better features.

The biggest weakness of XSI, seems to be their own marketing department. The company is plain juvenile. The basic features that it comes with aren't much, but XSI has a very complete library of available plugins available- but this also makes it expensive to use as you will need licenses per plugin per workstation.

Blender has my favorite interface (Maya is second for customizability) so I don't see this as being in “The Dark Side.” If I were to give blender a slap on the wrist for anything it would be lack of animation features. Again, that is an article I will write up later, as the upcoming particle system is something I would rather see them put development effort into- and the animation system isn't bad, it's just lacking some features that I miss from Maya and Softimage. Furthermore, from reading on the Blender development site, they know this and plan on improving it.

I prefer blender at this point, and I look forward to the addition of Jahka's particles, which will allow me to use it as my only 3D package. Blender may cater to hobbyists, but they aren't the only ones who use it.

Final thoughts- If you are a professional artist and have not done so already, then seriously look into Blender and see if it meets your needs. You may be surprised at what it can really do.

Labels: , ,

34 Comments:

Blogger michaelbuddy said...

Great article. The previous comparison that I know you were talking about lacked honesty really. Yours has honesty. If you haven't used something, you say it.

Of course we all are hoping that Blender gets a fair look. You know there are sales guys out there knocking Blender because it hurts their bottom line that it exists. It's important to spread the facts whenever we can.

Once again though, we are missing Modo in the comparison. I haven't used modo, maybe just briefly on a trial, but it looks really good and the new one, 301 is a huge upgrade.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for getting past just being amused by misleading charts.

I do a little multi-media when in the mood (retired, and a loner). This piece cleared up a lot of things for me.

kudos.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Just my 2 cents, I dislike Maya interface and like much more Max's one also fully customisable by the way. So subjective matter here ;p

Put a 'Mental ray killer' render engine into blender and I'll do the shift for sure.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Wray said...

I think the reason Max is so confusing to you is because you started with Maya. I have the reverse problem. It's very typical. I think 3ds max has the most friendly interface. It's really easy to access low-level data and high level data equally and I like the mouse functionality while dragging panels or numbers. It's also nice that it uses lots of real-world variables (ex: Kelvin for light color, Meters/feet/miles/whatever-you-want for lengths, and so on.)

You didn't say much about materials.
Materials in Blender are awesome. Maya's interface is messy and ugly. Textures also aren't as easily mapped to 3D space which gives stuff ugly stretch marks. compound that with it's sucky UV tools. Max's material editor is really robust but there's no pretty tree diagram to go with it.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Sisken said...

Hello, just to make a note. First system I was using was Maya and I think it is very easy to learn and quite intuitive. My take is the Maya/Blender has the very good interface. (I dislake Max as well :)

10:45 PM  
Blogger Philis said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Philis said...

"but other times it's not; as in Photoshop versus The Gimp"
I disagree with the quote. I use GIMP. I also used photoshop. And despite that fact, I still prefer GIMP over photoshop. finding the tools and filters, such as rotating just seperate layers or scaling them, or stuff like bevelling was harder to find in photoshop than in GIMP. And I never used the help file in GIMP. I had to search online on how to rotate each layer and how to bevel in photoshop. I found the solutions online, but i still like GIMP though. I use both now, only coz My IMM class has CS2 and thought i'd keep CS2 so i can work my IMM work at home.

And this is the first article I've read where someone said Blender's interface is simple, and good for beginners. I've read so many saying that it's a bit hard.

I find modeling in blender is faster and easier than i do in Max. In my opinion, i think blender is better than max in some ways, and vice versa.
What i think is that it really depends on the users and how they use the tools and utilities they have at hand. The quality of the results we want is not from what prgrams we use, but how we learn to use them an to implement certain actions, and etc.

11:06 PM  
Blogger Robert Hickman said...

i also hate max's interface, but on the coerce im dooing im forced to use it. i rilly like blenders keyboard driven work flow, its just so much more efficient than menu systems could ever be

12:56 AM  
Blogger acro said...

I think you're spot-on regarding the interface.

In my first week seriously modelling in Max 6 I got the worst RSI I've ever had. With hindsight I should've learned the shortcuts, but I still question the design of an interface whose default View controls are in the bottom right corner, while the Transform tools are in the top left. That's the two most switched-between controls, half a screen apart. Also, the UV window was a joke, and put me (then a beginner) off texturing for a long time.
Accessing vertices seemed like a forbidden vice, safely secreted away under the modifier stack.

There's a distinction between what's considered easy for beginners and intuitive. People seem to often say intuitive when they mean "works similarly to the thing I know already", whereas intuitive should mean something works easily when approached neutrally, with no presumptions. Blender has an extremely intuitive interface. It also looks very different and unique.
I failed to take up Blender long ago because I was caught up thinking "oh no, it's too different". Glen Moyes' video tutorials overcome that "hurdle" in half an hour.

Also, thanks for the summary of animation tools – having only used Max and Blender I don't know much about what else is possible.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on this great article, it cleared things up even better.

With the previous article posted at BlenderNation, I thought "are the other 3d apps really that bad compared to Blender?", then I came across this one, then it went well objectively.

Yes, I agree on you with how you described Blender's intuitive and friendly interface, though many claim it's eccentric and stuff like that, where actually (in my own opinion), it looks cool and is easy to use since you can figure out easily what those buttons would do.

I'm using Blender for about a year now, though my learning curve hasn't been that stable. But generally, I really like your article and your views. Makes me love Blender even better.

Thankies! ^_^

5:24 AM  
Blogger Michael Grosberg said...

I'm sorry but this "comparison" is terrible. You are just venting your highly subjective opinion with absolutely zero evidence or examples.

Blender interface is best? let's see.
You have on each 3D window: 3 menu items, buttons for vertex/edge/polygon, edit modes and move/rotate/scale. If you use a setup with 4 3D windows, you have the same buttons 4 times, needlessly. worse, unless you use unbelievably high resolution the vertex/edge/poly buttons will not be visible!

let's look at poly modeling tools. Blender has no buttons for most tools - you need to access them by going through two levels of menus!

to speed things up you have pop up menus that appear at the tip of the mouse cursor - for example, options for creating a new sphere. but if you move it just a little bit they disappear! that's not "fast", that just forces you to be slow and precise so you don't have to do things over.

the default choice on the 3d windows are that middle mouse button rotates. this means that in any orthogonal view in blender you can quickly lose the view and turn it to a 3d view by mistake. that's a crazy default to use.

the panels make more sense when they are stacked vertically - but on my system at least, they stack so the first is at the bottom!

the "no overlapping interface" concept is useful for some things but has been extended to things that don't make sense like the options that are "conveniently" hidden in a way you'll never find them unless you know to drag the menu down to show them. That's your "brilliant" interface?

There are numerous other examples I could give. Max's interface on the other hand is very intuitive once you understand the basic concept - you learn about modifiers in general and then everything works more or less the same, whether it is UV mapping, mesh editing, bend modifiers or rigging.

In other sections: you failed to mention Max's particle Flow in the particles section. You mentioned Maya's spline constraint in the rigging section but forgot to say max has one too. Max's Unwrap tools are miles beyond Blender's - have you been using Max 3 for this comparison?

All in all this is a very misleading piece, mainly because of your claiommed intention of making an honest comparison. it is not.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Dwarfed Films said...

Congratulations. That was a very fair and unbiased crit of Blender.

I've been using it since version 2.37 and looking back I'm amazed how far it has developed. Blender is probably always gonna have to play catch up with some of the more expensive products like Maya, but it never seems to be that far behind. Jahka's particle hair is looking really good and with proper cloth simulation down the line there is a lot to get excited about!

I think Blenders interface is fantastic and I don't see how anyone could really complain about it. It is entirely user friendly and user controllable.Buttons, windows and options are alll accessible on screen or through keybard shortcuts that may seem daunting to a beginner but become second nature when you adapt to it.

Also Blender also acts as a game creation tool too!

The big animation/film/SFX companies decide the direction of which software program will become the accepted norm for studio use. Some programs are better at certain things than others are. Some artists are used to working with Maya or XSI or MAX and find it hard or impossible to do what they want to with other programs - much like an oil painter may not be very good with water colors. Blender is a good "all rounder" and it's freeware. Great work is made by artists not software. Blender opens up the path for anybody to try their hand at doing some art regardless of how much cash they have available.

For a free piece of software, Blender is amazing. I salute all the coders for their brilliant work.

Shane Sheils
Dwarfed Films
Ireland

6:03 AM  
Blogger it is him said...

okay Michael Grosberg, that's it, I have never stooped so low in a blog as too turn it into a warzone, but you have left me no choice but to declare to you the errors of your ways!

1) It is clear that the author of the article has put great effort into being unbiased and honest in his opinion and experience.He clearly gives evidence to each statement and has also laid out a wealth of examples

2)well if blender dint have the same buttons on each window, then what happens when you close certain windows?
answer- you start loosin buttons, and cant find em unless you have an infinate memory as to what different buttons, different windows contain.

3)So where do you want pop-up menus to appear?, bottom left, or maybe top right? personally me and probably the rest of the word dont mind them convinently popping up close to our cursor for easy access.
and are you insisting that menus shouldn't automatically dissapear, that instead they should live and make a home on your screen? offcourse they dissapear other wise your screen would be clutered.

4)now youre complaining that blender is bad for utilizing the 3rd mouse button?
...nothing more to be said!

5) as for the rest of you comentary...

frankly I have hounored your comments enough, and it's time for me to undo my self from this low level of argument.
Finaly I would like to say that the article was impressive in its nature and would like to add that it seems all the different software could seriously learn from each other. for example Max could start organising thing abit more like blender, and blender could add a few more icon shortcuts to simple procdures such as adding cube meshes. And mya could restructure it's animation process abit.
Now with over 6 profesional 3d applications on the markets both comercial and opensource, I think we can expect them to start looking to each other for future developments.

7:02 AM  
Blogger geostik said...

well, to be honest i haven't read your article cos i know a thing or two about blender. to answer your question about weather "is blender really equal to the competition?"
i must say NO. never ever will a free product or service match the quality of one that you have to pay for. why ? because the money you spend on a product or service go to the guys that work for it, and money are a good stimulant for an employee. if designing the application would have lasted two weeks, then getting payed wouldn't have mattered that much. but the software needs to be developed continuously and that sets lots of good software engineers down.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Axel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Axel said...

Really nice article! At first I didn't see any faults with the original comparison, but now that you mentioned it, it had lots of it. I too dislike the Max interface a lot.

One thing I'm surprised you didn't write about tough is "user community and popularity" section. I've heard from several sources, including the magazine 3D-world, that Blender is the most installed 3D-suite across the world. Also, insn't the whole idea with Blender that the community will develop the software? Well then, shouldn't blender get an "exelent" in that section, at least in Europe?

8:43 AM  
Blogger ToastBusters said...

Thanks for posting your replies, guys. I recognize that this article is based solely on my own experience, and so it may not reflect yours at all. You may also notice that I stressed the point that most of this is completely subjective- that is to say, which is better is ambiguous and a matter of opinion.

Wray: I actually started with Max, and found it difficult to learn. It was refreshing for me to switch to Maya, where I constantly found myself saying "wow, that's much better than the way Max does it!"

I do, however, recognize that this is all a matter of preference. This is why Autodesk keeps selling both programs, because they're both good. Very good in fact. But they're also different, and each has people that prefer it over the other.

You're right, too, that I forgot to mention materials. Sorry about that. Blender does do a very good job with materials, but I didn't feel that it was vastly superior. really, I don't think any program does it better than the others, but none are lacking either. I did mention Maya's UV editor. As soon as I saw the UV editor in Blender, my first thought was "holy crap!"

Philis, As for the Gimp, I have a list of features written down that I am waiting for. I actually use The Gimp a lot for simple photo editing, I like the simple red eye removal tools, etc. It really is a great program, and I often prefer it because I don't have to fire up Wine to run it. But for many of my purposes, such as digital painting, I have not had much luck with The Gimp. If the features that I need do exist in there, then perhaps I'll have to sit down with someone who can show me, because searching online hasn't been too much help.

I remain cautiously enthusiastic about the Gimp. Perhaps I'll post an article about why I'm not using it full time, and if you read that and see something that I listed that I'm dead wrong on, then by all means...

Micheal Grosberg, this article is a rebuttal, not a full comparison, but I'm sorry you felt it was terrible. Actually, I take that back, I really don't care.

I did attack 3Ds Max a bit, but quickly backed off and added that many people prefer it over Maya. It's not my preferred workflow. My whole point in even bringing it up was to point out that in 90% of the cases out there, it doesn't make a beans of difference what software package you use. The results will be the same. That includes Blender, and Max.

Geostik, If you feel that no free program can be on the same level as a professional piece of software, then you must not have used very many free programs, or perhaps you were turned off by some free program that was of lower quality? Also, your comment is a clear indication that you did not read my post (the fact that you said as much notwithstanding) as I did bring up your very point.

Axel, I did mention this in the article, but the mention was very brief and passive. (under available learning materials)

The fact that it's the most installed probably has a bit more to do with the cost of it than anything. Many people, myself included, will download open source projects simply to check it out and throw it away.

But community-wise, yes, Blender has a great community. Even with the occasional hostile individual that you see around, it's still a great community filled with great people who are genuinely interested in helping.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why do we need these constant debates about Blender vs XYZ and so on....

Blender was originally commercial software which thanks to Ton et al, became a leading example of open source software.

The sheer variety of 3D software out there proves that there is no single way to do things. Each application has its own strengths and weaknesses. All 3D applications require a significant time to understand and master, but skills are transferable making the next application easier to learn.

Thanks to Blender, beginners and amateurs have an excellent starting point for their 3D career!

Likewise, Blender's best features can be evaluated and utilised by professionals without worrying about additional costs.

What I appreciate in any software is, workflow, standard's compliance, community, active development and free bug fixes.

My advice for newbies, not that I follow it myself ;), is to start with Blender, learn the basics, contribute to the community/open projects/development and see where it leads you.

3:00 PM  
Blogger toontje said...

About someone saying that Blender will never catch up with commercial software:
I am a Blenderhead, but I used to be a skeptic too. But the recent developments made a believer out of me. It's snowballing. You have the Google summer of code, the open source movie (now Peach), guys from university of Toronto and other coders working all year round on Blender. Already there are a couple of Siggraph 2007 papers implemented. No, Blender is not at the same level with the commercial apps in terms of excellency, nor it would be next year or even the year after. But if I may extrapolate, by the year 2010/ 2011 it wouldn't surprise me if it was the favorite app of professionals.

4:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The second and third paragraph should be the ones you need to read. Benjamin didn't put up much of an argument (sorry), but your views on Blender are a bit silly to say the least.

"Blender interface is best? let's see. You have on each 3D window: 3 menu items, buttons for vertex/edge/polygon, edit modes and move/rotate/scale. If you use a setup with 4 3D windows, you have the same buttons 4 times, needlessly. worse, unless you use unbelievably high resolution the vertex/edge/poly buttons will not be visible!"

This is almost embarrassing to watch you fail like this, but...

1- http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/1.jpg

2- http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/2.jpg

3- http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/3.jpg

4- http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/4.jpg



"let's look at poly modeling tools. Blender has no buttons for most tools - you need to access them by going through two levels of menus!"

Two words: key shortcuts.

"to speed things up you have pop up menus that appear at the tip of the mouse cursor - for example, options for creating a new sphere. but if you move it just a little bit they disappear! that's not "fast", that just forces you to be slow and precise so you don't have to do things over."

Or, you could quickly move your mouse TOWARDS the option if you want it, or away if it's not there. If you're having a problem with that then you may need a better mouse, because I rarely have a problem with that, and if I do it's only a two second delay.

"the default choice on the 3d windows are that middle mouse button rotates. this means that in any orthogonal view in blender you can quickly lose the view and turn it to a 3d view by mistake. that's a crazy default to use."

I don't think you know how an orthogonal view works, or what it is. Just because the view is at an angle doesn't mean it's not orthographic. Try changing the angle in orthographic with the middle mouse button and then try pushing the 5 button, and see it go from orthographic (the way it was staying the whole time) and 3d.

Ortho-Top: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/Ortho-Top.jpg

3D-Top: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/3D-Top.jpg

Ortho-Angle: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/Ortho-Angle.jpg

3D-Angle: http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r252/Fhqwhgads-/3D-Angle.jpg


"the panels make more sense when they are stacked vertically - but on my system at least, they stack so the first is at the bottom!"

You can change that.

"the "no overlapping interface" concept is useful for some things but has been extended to things that don't make sense like the options that are "conveniently" hidden in a way you'll never find them unless you know to drag the menu down to show them. That's your "brilliant" interface?"

I found out within two minutes that where there's a header there's a window when I dragged down the top header. I've never had a problem with hidden stuff since. I hide stuff often by moving the header and opening it up again when I need it, it's quite useful.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Vassilios said...

Yeah!
i totally agree Blenders User Interface is the BEST!
very fast, ificient, non blocking and very Inovativ,!
for a new user it looks complex!
but its not!surprise!...you have to try and go deep into it!
its very logic!
also other thinks that makes Blender Interesting is:

Fluid Simulation
Sculpt
Compositor Nodes
Powerfull Particle system and Hair
Game Engine
VSE-Sequencer Editor
Soft Body Dynamics
Cloth Simulator
Riggid Body Dynamics
Amazing... UV Editor!
Animation system Ipo,NLA,Action Editors
Skeleton Armature system
......and many many other Features coming in the near future like Volumetric rendering as example!!Yeahhh!!!
Blender is simply Amazing!

2:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always heard something from my neighbor that he sometimes goes to the internet bar to play the game which will use him some Pirates of the Burning Sea Gold, he usually can win a lot of potbs gold, then he let his friends all have some potbs Doubloon, his friends thank him very much for introducing them the potbs money, they usually buy potbs Doubloon together.
I am so happy to get some ro zeny and the ragnarok zeny is given by my close friend who tells me that the iro zeny is the basis to enter into the game. Therefore, I should cheap zeny with the spare money and I gain some ragnarok online zeny from other players.

6:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know cabal online alz? I like it.
My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy cabal alz and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these cabal gold with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cabal money and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy cabal alz was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.


Do you know dofus kamas? I like it.
My brother often goes to the internet bar to buy kamas and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these cheap kamas with his friend.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many dofus gold and play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy dofus kamas was so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they are like me and tell me anything about them wakfu kamas, I know wakfu gold. one of my friend likes to go to play buy wakfu kamas, I can not stand praising the land and the nature wakfu money , It makes us to be wakfu kama.
Do you know seal cegel? I like it.
My brother often go to the internet bar to buy sealonline cegel and play it.
After school, He likes playing games using these seal online cegel with his friends.
I do not like to play it. Because I think that it not only costs much money but also spend much time. One day, he give me many cheap seal cegeland play the game with me.
I came to the bar following him and found buy seal online cegelwas so cheap. After that, I also go to play game with him.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Finaiized said...

Wait, did you just say that Linux is better than Windows? No way.

3:27 PM  
Blogger blog said...

the article is very awesome.,thanks your .China BusinessChina MarketHong Kong BusinessElectronic PartInternational BusinessChina MarketBusiness OpportunitiesElectronic PartChina ManufacturerComputer PeripheralChina MarketChina MarketElectronic PartArtComputer PeripheralPaintElectronic PartElectronic PartChina MarketPictureComputer PeripheralComputerChina MarketComputer

Peripheral
Electronic Partglamour tea

1:06 AM  
Blogger toontje said...

It now more than a year later if I'm not mistaken. I got an alert from this blog, but it seems that it fell prey to spammers. But to bump it again: Blender has undergone quite a lot of fundemental changes. It's is now 2.5 alpha 2. What are the opinions now? Has Blender met some of the critc's expectations?

7:38 AM  
Blogger blog said...

温家宝在日发表讲话|
封堵漏油失敗奧巴馬心碎|
朝鮮走向戰爭的五種可能|
全球彌漫“中性风”|
電視相親秀火遍全球|
德國億萬富豪吃牛排噎死|

2:56 AM  
Blogger blog said...

温家宝在日发表讲话|
封堵漏油失敗奧巴馬心碎|
朝鮮走向戰爭的五種可能|
全球彌漫“中性风”|
電視相親秀火遍全球|
德國億萬富豪吃牛排噎死|

2:56 AM  
Blogger babaldy said...

I have used an older version of Blender and found it delightfully easy,(the good folks even helped with advice on Python language(used in Mel Maya)),I had trouble,maybe its from hardware,with IK animation,but I remember plenty of free plugins(3dsMax charges for these things),I also own a copy of 3dsMax which owning means I have to use it or lump it,very cumbersopme interface,useful goodies are plugins which should be part of the package and are for sale to make things work smoothly.It does integrate well with vid editing tools like Adobe etc,has spectroscopic workings and nice riggings,texture or shaders are easily thrown together.I also have a copy of Hexagon with wonderful modelling,UV tools,texture brushes everything exports where ever you want,more or less,bogs on high poly count renders and crashed an old system/machine several occasions.I like Blender, its plug-ins,tools and I need python program practice so why not do something neat and animate with it.

2:00 PM  
Blogger taoxanh said...

I’m glad to have found this post as it’s such an interesting one having very informative thoughts. Thank you for this post.
As the largest national distributor of artificial grass supplier, focuses on quality and technology for all of its products. Our synthetic grass products are sold and distributed on a large nationwide scale to supply the rising requests for turf. With this growing demand for our products, Wholesale Turf is always seeking new quality turf specialists who desire a superior product to compliment their installation process.

6:32 PM  
Blogger passionlove said...

Excellent post. We have found that discussing things like this within a group provides better results. American Finance Solutions provides merchant cash advances programs to help businesses obtain enough capital to ensure success.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home