Thursday, April 24, 2008

Putting Things into Perspective

As part of my studies for this summer, I decided to tackle Linear Perspective. I already knew the subject, but I wanted to really know it. I was forwarded this document to help with the task, but I found it to be horrifically confusing. Shortly into this project I decided that the best way to learn the subject would be to devise a way to simplify and teach it. The document linked below is the result of that effort. It's messy, I'll admit, but it was done mostly for my own benefit. If you are learning perspective this may come in handy.

Get the beginner's guide to perspective here!

It is my intention to expand this in the near future to cover more complex and daunting drafting challenges. It can be easily argued that for challenging perspective problems one could simply open up Blender (or a similar 3D app) and do a mockup with primitives, then paint on this mockup. This is true, but even that is not a substitute for having a solid ground work in what your software is actually doing for you. I do have a more advanced knowledge of the concepts than what is presented in here at this point, but I am unsure if I'll go back and add to it.

In the future I'd like to cover ellipses, shadow/reflection, three point perspective, and application in complex objects. Baring in mind that this is as much notes for personal use as anything, if any of the information was unclear or could be improved, feel free to leave feedback on what I have so far in the comments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home